Monitoring for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
The Telehomecare Monitoring service offers teaching and personalised follow-up at a distance. COPD patients using this service are required to periodically assess their health condition and manage their symptoms. Telehomecare thus help them prevent aggravations and allow for timely support from the clinical team (e.g. respiratory therapist or nurse).
Who is this service for?
This service is currently offered to all patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
In what context of care is it applicable?
Telehomecare Monitoring offers a teaching and support service to patients with COPD to facilitate the management of their condition. To access this service, the patient connects to the Internet from home, using his personal device (smartphone, tablet or computer). The patient answers self-assessment questionnaire(s) daily. The data entered by the patient in the Telehomecare platform is transmitted to his healthcare professional throughout the treatment. Although the data is quickly transmitted to the clinician, it is important to consider this is not an emergency service.
What types of activities are offered in the platform?
- Daily monitoring of symptoms (e.g. shortness of breath, cough, secretion, fatigue, etc.);
- Monitoring of lung and general condition;
- Follow-up of medication intake;
- Consultation with the health library (e.g. signs and symptoms, aggravating factors and strategy for symptom prevention);
- Communication with the clinical team by messaging (e.g. question, report of a problem, etc.).
Testimony of Mr. Roy
User of the COPD Telehomecare Monitoring service
“I find it very simple and easy to use and it has brought me three things:
First, to know my disease better and detect aggravating symptoms from the beginning, which allows me to react quickly.
Then, it makes me feel much safer. For example, once I had answered my questions and I had a symptom that had worsened. My respiratory therapist called me as soon as she arrived at the office. She called me and asked me questions. We solved the problem, and she guided me on what to do.
Finally it helped me to take my medication on a more regularly basis which is very important!
When there are small problems, my therapist gives me tips. Thanks to the health library, she suggests videos to me. With everything I’ve learned, I realize that while you can’t beat the disease, it will take much longer to develop.”
Summary of the benefits
- To benefit from distance learning and clinical monitoring from a clinical team;
- To answer questionnaires about the general health condition and COPD related symptoms;
- To receive personalized information, advice through messaging, documents, and video capsules;
- To reduce emergency room visits and hospitalizations linked to the disease.
Interested in this service? Talk to your healthcare professional about the Telehomecare Monitoring Platform.
Tools and documentation
To learn more about the Telehomecare Monitoring service and its plateform, visit the Telehomecare Monitoring Platform – Patient page.
Last update: September 7, 2023